To be eligible to participate in this study, a subject must meet all of the following criteria:
- IC due to PAD (Fontaine 2, Rutherford I-III)
- Ankle-Brachial Index <0.9 or drop in ABI > 0.15 after an exercise test.
- Candidate for SET as a primary treatment, at the discretion of the treating vascular surgeon.
- Recent or planned imaging of the aortoiliac and femoropopliteal tract (within 6 months of SET initiation): either color Duplex Scanning (hemodynamically significant stenosis defined as a PSV ratio ≥ 2.5 or EDV ≥0.6 m/s) or MRA/CTA (>50% stenosis considered hemodynamically significant).
- Signed informed consent form.
A potential subject who meets any of the following criteria will be excluded from participation in this study:
- Advanced PAD beyond IC (i.e. ischemic rest pain and/or ulcers, Fontaine >II, Rutherford 4-6).
- High probability of non-adherence to physician’s, or physical therapist’s follow-up requirements.
- Current participation in a concurrent trial that may confound study results.
- Vascular intervention as primary treatment, at the discretion of the treating vascular surgeon.
- Prior SET, performed in accordance with the guidelines of the Dutch Society for Physical therapists, in the previous 12 months.
- Prior revascularization in the lower-extremities in the previous 12 months.
- Neurogenic-, venous- and/or orthopedic claudication.